Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Marshall MN Update: Beth Ritter


 
Hi all you past Delta Zetas!  What a title we still get to carry!  Get out that badge or lavalier, just for a moment!

I’ve been mulling over Jarby’s invitation to “set aside some time, pour a refreshment –vanilla coke at the moment but a chelada beer on a hot day or a hot buttered rum on a normal MN winter day would be even better. So here’s the story of 2010 for us.

I started the year out taking another ‘financial planner’ on line course through Mankato State. On line learning is not for the procrastinating.  I lowered my sights to the goal of ‘passing’, found that a 3rd time reading something finally made it ‘stick’, still treated the prof like he was 30 years older than me with a “Mr.” in my e mails, and actually used the excuse of ‘having to study’ frequently.

Student-hood was interrupted by ‘daughter-hood’ in February.  My dad was in a car accident and spent 4 months between hospitals, nursing home, and his ‘home’.  Wow – how are they ever going to handle us millions of post-baby boomers when we get there?  It’s almost too scary to have to worry about!   I know many of you have walked this walk.  My parents are now in an assisted living place in Marshall.  I’m playing sideline ‘monitor’ with their house for sale, medical apptmts and wishing I’d kept a few more ‘treasures’ from their house!  It was a fast process.  One moment changes a lifetime.  There should be a better way to ‘use’ the wisdom of our ‘aged’.  Could someone start working on that for us in 30 years?

Our kids are doing well.  Chris and Heather became house owners in Bloomington last year, and pet owners to Jade, a white lab, this year.  They are learning & using lots of new life skills; tree trimming, fence building, landscaping, etc.  Commute time is great for Heather and central for Chris.   Kelly had a great job opportunity come up and moved back to Marshall in June to do ‘contract’ speech therapy services to nursing homes in southwest MN.  She misses ‘kids’ in school but has a knack for her new clientele. She puts 3-4,000 miles a month on her car so will become an expert winter driver this year. It is really nice having her back in town. Nick is still living the great life of college student and summer construction worker.  He keeps my ego in check – I still know very little, according to him.  That change will come, oh wait, maybe there is some truth to that – depends on the topic!  .

My list of ‘to do’s’ for this year include some travel, one final class on ‘taxes’, finding a ‘volunteer’ opportunity with the Hispanic/Somalian/Hmong, a book club with my mom, making more time for friends and for the Y, and increasing my tech abilities. I have an unused facebook page that Kelly thought I should have -  so will be getting to that in January.  Sorry – no pictures, not much posing time this past year and my hair’s a mess right now!  At least I have some, and I’m keeping it un-grayed. In next year’s picture, I’ll be 10 lbs lighter!

I’ve reread last year’s letter and am awed by the challenges and entertained by the ‘I can relates’.  Welcome to the letter, Anita!  Linda – I hope you’ve recovered from your accident.  And, my sympathies to all those who were without some family member this year.  That circle of life is meant to be – as new babies start showing up in your pictures!

Something I recently read highlighted the positive power of nostalgia – I totally buy in to it.  This annual letter makes me remember you all in such good times.  Thanks for your updates and I hope “life” treats you well this new year.  God bless and keep you,                               Beth R

No comments:

Post a Comment